Friday, July 18, 2008

Bronwyn's New Job

God has answered many of our prayers in recent weeks, particularly in providing me with a new job. For purely economic reasons, I need to work while Nathan finishes his degree, and then we'll swap; he'll work while I finish mine. So from September 2, I'll be working at Westside Christian School. You can check out their website here. (The site is a bit out of date, so ignore the faculty and employment pages, but you'll get the flavour of the place!)

While 'a job with income' was needed, many of our hopes were met in the position I have been offered. It is close to where we live, in fact, not far from Regent, so we don't need to get a car. It is full-time (in hours), but a combination of teaching and being a teacher-aide, so I only have to get my head around part of the BC curriculum, not the whole thing. It pays slightly more than we'd hoped. And it has very small classes, with about 40 students in the whole school!

My position is certain, but not in a finalised form yet, because being such a small school, any enrolments before school starts has a big impact on the balance of classes. From the current situation I am probably going to be teaching 'applied skills' (home ec, business, technology), maths, science, health & career, ICT, and PE in a multi-age Grade 7-11 class and teacher-aiding in the Grade 4-6 class. That equates to teaching the equivalent of mostly Form 2-6/Years 8-12. It is going to be an adventure and adjustment to teach older students in a format different from what I'm used to!

I am excited about this new job and would also appreciate your prayers for the following:
* that my application for teacher registration (here in BC) would be completed efficiently and successfully Update: I have now received a conditional teaching certificate, meaning I have 5 years to study 3 credits each in science, English composition, and Canadian studies to obtain a full certificate. It lets me teach now while I upskill - yay!
* that I would be able to plan and prepare adequately, despite the uncertain final form of my position
* that I would be able to relate well to the students in my class, their parents and my new colleagues
* that I can adjust to a different style of teaching quickly, and confidently use my skills and gifts
* that this time of transition from study to work will be restful now, and flow smoothly when school starts (particularly in leaving Regent, but needing to maintain many relationships on a social level and for when I return later)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bron, it is such a joy to hear how this has worked out so perfectly for you guys. I join you in thanksgiving, prayer and hope for the provision and positive growth outcomes of this position. Can't wait to hear all about it! love you, C

Anonymous said...

Yay on getting your conditional teaching certificate!!