As one who doesn't like the spotlight overly much, my birthday celebrations have generally been low-key, and certainly enjoyed. I feel it has been a bit like the '12 days of Christmas', with little treats and gatherings spread over nearly a month. Perhaps I've had my own '30 days of Birthday'! Here's what's happened:
The day before we returned to Vancouver from our brief NZ visit Mum and Dad generously hosted a lunch and afternoon tea with friends and family in Feilding. As always, there was heaps of yummy food, including more-ish nibbles, warm wintery mains and veges, generous desserts (the macadamia nut sauce on the pavlova was a unique touch) and baking and asparagus rolls for afternoon tea (not that we needed any more food).
It was great to have my family and various friends all together, though I wish I'd been able to spend more time with each of them. Natasha flew down from Auckland; Claire (recently resident of Vancouver) drove up from Upper Hutt; Sara & Mike came in from Bulls; Andrew, Naomi & Zach did a day trip from Wellington, as did Grandma, Grandad and Uncle Verdon from Levin. Thank you for coming everyone.
Nathan's parents were not able to come that day, accurately anticipating other commitments after Al & Kim's wedding the day before, so Nathan, Ian, Chrissie and I had breakfast at Cafe Cuba in Palmerston North the previous weekend. Another yummy meal.
My actual birthday in Vancouver (if you don't consider the complications caused by time differences and the International Date Line) was a relaxing day of reading; meeting my friend, Esther, for coffee; responding to emailed birthday wishes; and preparing a nice meal for dinner while Nathan & April studied for their first major Hebrew test the next day.
Which leads me to yesterday. Their test out of the way, Nathan and April had arranged some 'birthday activities' for Thursday evening; an endeavour they both enjoyed immensely as they dropped anticipatory comments all through the week! So yesterday I had a personal treasure hunt.
This place is named after a famous anabaptist. It is also the Greek word for 'remain, live.' Go to this place!
The only anabaptist I can recall by name is Menno Simons, and as April (and the aforementioned Jodie) live at the Menno Simons Centre, a residential facility for students, that is where Nathan, April and I went. In April's room I discovered my birthday presents and, after I'd perused them, Nathan dutifully 'sherpa-ed' them home down the hill.
My next clue was read:
Your dad received a scholarship when you were young. This place is somehow related to this fact (cryptically). Go to this place for a pre-dinner drink!
Dad received the Woolf-Fisher Fellowship when I was about 2 years old, and our family travelled to Sydney for him to briefly explore technology teaching there. I first thought my destination may be the chocolate shop, Cocoa Nymph, up the street (whose owner has connections to our Australian friend, Karen, the one wearing a hat in the video clip).
Further thought proved the local Irish pub, the Wolf and Hound, was a more logical choice, and we enjoyed cocktails and beer before reading the next clue:
Complete the phrase: _______ is where the heart is. Go to this place for dinner!
Well, 'home' was the obvious conclusion. So, a little tiddly, we came home and Nathan put out crackers, cheese and olives while preparing a rustic dinner of spaghetti and pesto. (I'm detecting a theme to my celebrations now!)
Once dinner had settled, I read my final clue (with a fair idea of where it would lead):
This is quite cryptic. The opposite of false is _______. St. Augustine wrote a book called _______. Would you like some dessert?
Now, I seldom turn down dessert so the motivation to confirm my suspicions was strong! As any theological student worth their salt can tell you, St. Augustine wrote his "Confessions" in the late 4th century AD, detailing his misspent youth before converting to Christianity (an answer to fervent prayer by his mother, St. Monica). True Confections, the dessert cafe around the corner, seemed to fit the bill so we shared Boston Cream Pie and Milk Chocolate Hazelnut Gateau and Chai Tea for dessert.
Truly sated, and a little high on sugar, we finished the evening with a few rounds of 'Farkel', a game April taught us (and Claire) last year. A pleasant finale to my birthday. I feel truly blessed by all my celebrations and the people who joined them.
Now all the remains to be done is to celebrate the birthdays of our friends Holly and Claudia this weekend. Bring on the candles!
3 comments:
I'm thankful for you, dear Bron. So glad you enjoyed your treasure hunt (and your gifts) as much as we enjoyed scheming it up (and purchasing them)!
Oooo what a lovely day - wish I'd been there to cele-eat with you!!! I love you and am glad you are feeling more 'attractive and assured' as you enter the 30's - what's in a number anyway, right!?
Happy Birthday Bronwyn! Great to read about your birthday from your perspective (April had told me a little). What does "a little tiddly" mean?
Post a Comment